We are looking for two vibrant booksellers to join our team. We have a full-time and part-time position available for applicants with a passion for reading and knack for outstanding customer service. If you’re wild about books, interested in small business, and keen to launch into a hands-on bookshop role, this could be the job for you!
Definition of a Bookseller:
To us, a bookseller is not someone who only processes sales. A bookseller is like a literary matchmaker, pairing people with the right books, confident in the power of books to transform and transport their readers. It takes skill to be a good bookseller: you need to read widely, retain knowledge, and be able to selectively guide customers to titles that will excite and inspire them. We have a regular customer base who trust us to help them discover books they wouldn’t otherwise find. This means our knowledge extends from the books we stock to the community we serve: knowing people by name and creating a place of comfort and connection is at the heart of what we do.
The right candidates will have:
- 2+ years of retail experience and be accustomed to working in a dynamic environment, particularly during the peak Christmas and summer trading period (October to January). Bookselling experience is highly desirable but not essential.
- Exemplary customer service and communication skills. We are all about fostering a friendly, personalised experience for our customers. A good memory for names and faces is ideal!
- A firm knowledge of books and authors across genres with the ability to craft compelling recommendations. The right candidate will also be willing to learn and strengthen their knowledge across all categories.
- An interest in the workings of a small business. Our booksellers are all-rounders and do everything from processing stock and special orders, handling customer enquiries, window displays, cleaning, to banking and post-office runs. We also host book events and publish staff reviews and articles on our blog, so an interest in such activities is key. This is a hands-on position and not a behind-the-counter job.
- Be computer savvy and able to operate POS systems efficiently. Attention to detail is imperative.
The full-time position on offer is for a standard Monday to Friday, 38-hour week.
The part-time position is for an average of 20 hours a week, with weekend availability required.
Applicants must be fully vaccinated to be eligible for these positions, and available for an immediate start.
To apply, please email us:
- Your resume and a cover letter. Please indicate in your cover letter whether you are applying for the full-time or part-time position, or both.
- A short, 200-word review of your favourite book. This is to give us a sense of how you discuss and can recommend titles to customers.
- Valid proof of COVID-19 vaccinations.
Applications for both positions close Sunday 27 February. Please direct your applications to our owner, Anna Tweed, at email@example.com.